A letter to fellow freelance writers and students...

June 07, 2015

Dear fellow writers,

Being a freelance writer sounds great, working from home, creating your own hours and most of all, getting to do what you love. But like all jobs, it comes with its downfalls. As a student I have a lot on my plate with assignments flooding in from all directions, so the thought of any full time job is out of the question. However, being a head strong and organised person, I always want to be prepared and get ahead and that is why I looked into gaining as much experience in writing as I could.

I currently study Creative and Media Writing at University of Portsmouth. But I also make sure I have time on the side to start up my own freelance career. Given that I am still a student, finding freelancing jobs is rather hard. However there are several things you can do to help the process along and at least push yourself to gain the experience you need to be considered for any freelancing work.

First of all, I started a blog. I chose a topic I liked to write about which turned out to be beauty and lifestyle (with the exception of food and sports posts etc) and started posting, sharing it to Google communities and strategically using social media platforms. Having a blog is fantastic as it counts as published work if you are successful at keeping it running. It's also really fun and a great way of documenting your life experiences.

Secondly I looked online for any writing opportunities. If you look well, there are plenty of websites that are in need of writers and if you're lucky you may find a paid one. If not, taking up volunteer writing positions is a great thing to put on your CV. Working for free not only shows that you are willing but also shows how passionate you are about writing.

Freelancing never screams 'solid income', In fact it almost suggests the opposite, however the more experience you get the more well known you'll become in the writing world, and then there are more chances of getting work. The most important thing to remember is to not get disheartened by rejection. Rejection says more about the other person/company than it does you. It by no means is implying your writing isn't good, it might just be not what they are looking for. So don't feel like giving up because you don't get accepted by every job. This happens in all aspects of life, so keep pushing and you'll get there!

Remember to always remain true to yourself and what YOU believe! Happy writing.

Speak Soon







Have I always wanted to be a writer? No. In fact growing up I would change my mind constantly, I still do. But writing is a way to escape and for me it is relaxing. I love doing it and that's the important thing.

You Might Also Like

0 comments

Search

Popular Posts